Arthur's Library Card

Monday, July 28, 2008

#19: Web 2.0 Awards List

I have been looking around and playing on Web 2.0 Awards List for almost 24 hours. There is so much to look through. The biggest problem I came across is that a major majority of the sites are not kid friendly. It's sad that so much has to have sex, violence, and profanity in it. Society has sunk awfully low to think that these topics are of such importance. I was also impressed to see that many sites we have been learningabout are on the awards list.

Lulu sounds interesting for home and school use. Classes could make field trip picture books with photos taken with a digital camera. I already found a book by a local person that sounds interesting.

Mango was fun to play with in learning simple phrases in a variety of languages. I didn't make it very far in Russian. The tutor spoke fast and the words were long and strange looking.

Wetpaint looks like a good choice for developing wikis. There is a wonderful video that explains how the website works. It is presented in very simple terms.

Google Maps seems like fun for setting up trips that I can at dream of taking. I've done a lot of this over 10 years ago and really could have used a site like this. I believe students and teachers will really enjoy Live Maps. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at bird's-eye views of historical places and structures. I hope to use it in the library from time to time. My favorite was the picture of the Eiffel Tower and the shadow it cast over the Seine River.

Pandora is a great music site. While copying and pasting the URL I was serenaded by Michael Crawford, one of the artists I put on my list.

I'm sure I will find more to enjoy and share with staff members at my school. Most sites can't be used by elementary students without adult supervision but putting some like MyHeritage can be tagged or placed on the favorites list.

No comments: