Arthur's Library Card

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

#15: Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries


While reading Library 2.0 the first item that stuck with me was in "Away from Icebergs". At the University of Nevada the patron-to-librarian ratio was 680 to 1. At the elementary library where I work the ratio is 900 to 1. I see a major problem with this picture. At universities you have young adults that can work with much more independence than four to twelve year-olds. It's next to impossible when to odds are so high, there isn't enough hardware, and students come to the library once every 10 days.

It would be fantastic if the state would make library standards library mandates. They also need to make librarians a must have position. Library 2.0 or Web 2.0 are not attainable without the supplies or the people power. More success comes when more is available.


1 comment:

myska said...

Karen, isn't it cool that your blog post came up in a google search I just did? I basically agree with your comments, but we need to have a much deeper discussion after I make my blog post on this "thing"!